The Availability Calendar allows your workers to submit times and dates that they're available, so that you can schedule based on that information.
Availability can limit:
- What shifts your workers can see
- What shifts your workers can sign up for
- When they receive Autotext messages
Enabling the Availability System
You can enable availability in Configuration by visiting Configuration -> Worker Interaction -> Availability.
There are 3 options that can be enabled in this area:
- Availability system active Enabling this option turns on the availability system and will allow workers to submit their availability. As well, if this option is enabled, you can see who has matching availability when scheduling workers. You can still choose to override this (by scheduling a worker that does not have matching availability) if you wish. If this is off, workers cannot submit their availability and the availability calendar will be removed from their home screen.
- Do not allow workers to signup for or request shifts if they do not have a matching availability input into their availability calendar If this option is disabled, it will put the availability system into non-enforcing mode. This means that workers may use the availability calendar, however, they can still see and signup (or request shifts) that do not match their availability. This may be desirable if you have the availability system enabled, but not every worker has input their availability yet. If this option is enabled, workers will not be able to see or signup for (or request) shifts for which they have no matching availability. This includes workers who have not input any available dates into their availability calendar. If enabled, the availability system will be in full-enforcing mode.
- Stop Autotext from contacting workers that do not have a matching availability input into their availability calendar If this option is enabled, Autotext will not contact workers who do not have matching availability in their calendar for a particular shift. This includes workers who have not input any available dates into the availability calendar. If this option is disabled, Autotext will still try to contact workers even though they do not have matching availability in their calendar, or if they have no availability in their calendar (they have not used it at all).
Using the Availability System
For each worker, they can access their availability calendar directly from their home screen. When using the availability calendar, there are several ways to specify times and dates of availability.
Start by choosing a date on the calendar. From here, you can click Add Availability, this will allow you to choose the available times for the selected date.
Selecting the repeating option will repeat this on the same day of the week for the future.
About Overnight or 24 hour shifts
If you need to specify overnight or 24 hour availability, you'll need to select the overnight option for each day as necessary. This will move the ending time forward by 24 hours to convert this availability into an overnight, 24 hour availability slot. For example, if you specify Tuesday 9am to 6pm, then check overnight, this will become Tuesday 9am to Wednesday 6pm.
What to check if it isn't working
If you or your workers are unable to see shifts, you should test out the system. You can test whether or not the availability system is working by first enabling the system, then creating some sample shifts, entering some sample dates on your availability calendar, and finally checking if you have visibility to those shifts.
If you or your workers are unable to see shifts that you believe you should be able to, there are several things that may impact the availability system:
- Assumed Shift Length If you're using the Multiple Shifts Per Day option, you may need to check the assumed shift length. If you do not specify end times on your shifts, assumed shift length will assume that a shift has the length as specified in this setting. Therefore, if you're finding problems with the availability system working properly, you're shifts may be too long for workers to be considered available for them due to the assumed shift length. The assumed shift length may need to be reduced to an appropriate amount.
- Not having correct dates and times in the Availability Calendar The worker will need to have availability input in their availability calendar for 100% of the entire shift length.
- Double check shift start and end times This is one of the most common mistakes. Either a shift starts too early or ends too late, and the worker's availability doesn't match. The worker must have availability input in their availability calendar for 100% of the entire shift to be considered available.Please also refer to the Assumed Shift Length above.
- Double check skillsets Make sure that the worker for which you're testing has the desired and necessary skillsets
- Time off request If you're using the Time Off system, does the worker have a pending or approved time off request?
- The worker is on another shift Check to see if the worker is on a conflicting shift, even if it only partially overlaps by minutes.
- The worker is on another shift that day If the worker is on another shift during that calendar day, they will not be considered available for any other shifts unless you have the option enabled for Multiple Shifts per Day in configuration.